Every hour, 2.5 million plastic bottles are thrown away in the US. That’s 695 bottles per second. Unfortunately, many people have habits they don’t realize are harming our environment. But, with a few simple changes in your daily habits, you can adopt a more eco-friendly lifestyle and help improve our planet!
At ICO Mayfield’s Pleasant Grove apartments, we care about protecting the environment, and we encourage all our residents to do their part to live green. These are a few ideas of little things you can do to make a big difference.
Cut Back on Water Usage
Did you know 3.6 billion people live in areas where water is scarce? Utah is one of the many places that often experience dry summers, so it is important for residents at our Pleasant Grove apartments to be conscientious of water use. These are a few ways you can save water:
- Be aware of leaks. A faucet that leaks just one drop of water per second adds up to 165 gallons per month! Be aware of leaks and report them to maintenance so we can fix them as quickly as possible.
- Keep showers brief. People use an average of 37 gallons of water every time they shower. Do your best to shower quickly so you can avoid using more water than necessary.
- Don’t treat the toilet like a wastebasket. Every time you flush a toilet, it uses about 3.5 gallons of water, so don’t flush your tissue when you blow your nose; be conservative with your flushes.
- Turn off the faucet. Whether you are brushing your teeth or washing dishes, don’t leave the faucet on while you are not using it. Take a few extra seconds to turn it off and then back on when you need it.
- Do full loads only. When you do laundry or use the dishwasher, make sure you do so only with full loads. This will reduce the number of times you have to run the machines.
By making these small changes, you can make a huge difference in the amount of water you use each day.
Use Less Electricity
With a few changes in habit, you can also save on electricity. Here are some simple practices to cut down on energy use at our Pleasant Grove Apartments:
- Flip the light switch. When you leave a room, make a habit of flipping the light switch down on your way out. Also, consider just using the windows for light when it is bright out.
- Unplug what’s not in use. If you have any electronics, chargers, lamps, or appliances that aren’t being used, unplug them. This will dramatically reduce the amount of electricity you are using.
- Use the cold cycle. Consider washing your clothes in cold water. This will reduce the energy used to heat the water, and it will keep your clothes from shrinking!
- Try eco-friendly light bulbs. Using eco-friendly light bulbs can reduce energy use by 75 percent. You don’t have to switch out all your light bulbs at once, but once they burn out and need replacing, choose an eco-friendly option.
Cutting back on the energy use in your apartment will save money on your utility bills as well as reduce greenhouse gas emissions, leading to a cleaner environment for all.
Recycle the Right Way
Another easy way to live green is to recycle. We encourage all residents at our Pleasant Grove Apartments to recycle. Things you can recycle include plastic containers and bottles, cans, paper, and cardboard. On the other hand, you can’t recycle plastic bags, plastic wrap, food, liquid, or cups with wax or plastic coating. In Pleasant Grove, Utah, you can take your recycling to Ace Intermountain Recycling Center.
We would love for all at ICO Mayfield’s Pleasant Grove apartments to make these changes to their daily habits. By doing so, you will help contribute to a cleaner, more sustainable environment.